Watch video: Keeping dogs safe at Christmas

Chocolate, over eating, grapes, raisins, caffeine, antifreeze and christmas decorations such as baubles, tinsel and lights... there are so many dangers to dogs at Christmas.

In this video, veterinary surgeon Anna Marshall talks about keeping our dogs at home safe at Christmas, what possible symptoms the dog may display (such as vomiting, diarrhoea, wobbliness twitching, convulsions) and how bad some of the Christmas dangers can be. For example, eating grapes can sometimes lead to kidney failure, caffeine is especially bad for dogs with heart problems and ingesting antifreeze (ethylene glycol) can be fatal if not treated quickly enough.

Anna discusses various treatments to the different poisons, including drips, surgery, stomach pumps and explains how often immediate treatment can lead to a much better prognosis.

0:00 Introduction
0:28 Acute gastroenteritis (vomiting and diarrhoea)
1:03 Bloat and gastric dilatation volvulus (GDV)
2:12 Chocolate poisoning, chocolate toxicity – symptoms and what to do
2:31 Are doggy chocolates ok?
3:22 Raisins, sultanas and grapes are poisonous to some dogs
3:52 What to do if your dog has had something containing raisons or grapes
4:21 Why caffeine is bad for dogs
4:53 Dogs and alcohol
5:31 The dangers of Christmas decorations to dogs
7:19 The dangers of antifreeze to dogs

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/naturallyhappydogs
Watch 100's of other dog training, behaviour and more videos on www.naturallyhappydogs.com
This video has been viewed 126 times